Wednesday, March 14, 2012

GAME Plan - next step

Now that I have set goals for incorporating more engaging instructional learning experiences and sharing those lessons, it is time to take action.  I created a wiki with some Walden colleagues for a previous class.  In the wiki, we reviewed resources for integrating technology into instruction.  Some of the resources were content specific, but some could be used in any content area.  It is now time to revisit the wiki for two purposes.  First, I would like to see which resources may have been added since I last visited the wiki.  Second, I would like to add the resources I have discovered since that time. 
Another action I will take is to review some resources which have been suggested to me through discussion in my current graduate class.  Just this week, I was told about two web sites which allow students to show their learning through creative means.  The web sites are www.animoto.com and www.photopeach.com. 
I have started this process and I must remember to monitor my progress.  I also need to be careful to not get overwhelmed with too many resources.  The technology must fit and not be forced.  I need to remember to look to my curriculum to plan to use these resources where and when appropriate.  As Thompson mentions, technology should be used to enrich lessons, not become the objective (Laureate Education Inc., 2011). 

Resources
Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2011). Program four: Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences With Technology, Part 2 [Video webcast]. In Integrating Technology Across the Content Areas.  Retrieved from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=6489417&Survey=1&47=8554320&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Williams-

    I have not yet tried wiki, but a colleague of mine has used it and he really likes it. The only problem that I have is that the students at our school cannot access wiki, it is blocked by our server. I see that later on in this class we learn more about wikis and I am excited to do that. I hope that I can learn enough about them and their benefits to talk to my tech department and convince them to unblock this site for students. I understand that we want to avoid students using social networks at school, and viewing inappropriate things, but sometimes the restrictions that we have are a little much.

    I also understand your concern about becoming too overwhelmed. There are so many great technology tools out there that I really want to learn and use, but I feel like I am rushed for time. I have a Word document with a list of all the different technologies that I would like to learn and try that I am saving for this summer, when I hopefully have more time! I also do not want to just use technology just to use it, it does need to have a purpose.

    Good luck with your new technologies! They are fun!

    JenZ

    ReplyDelete